fot

Re: [Fot] Mileage bragging

To: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Mileage bragging
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 23:13:33 -0500
In 1997 my daughter and I took a hiking vacation in Glacier National Park in
Montana.  We both live in Wisconsin.  It was a little bit over 4000 miles.
Took a lot of side trips on the "back" roads.  I had a new 1997 BMW 328is.
We averaged 26 MPG for the trip with a low of 23 MPG when we drove back
across Montana on Highway 2 cruising at around 120 MPH between towns.  No
speed limit in Montana then, just "reasonable and prudent" or maybe
"proper".  Seemed reasonable to me.  Passed one trooper going the other way
at about 100.  High mileage for the trip was the last leg in Wisconsin when
I was taking it easy, got 32 MPG then.  Car still gets 28 to 30 MPG on the
highway, maybe a bit more if I keep my foot out of it.  Not bad for a
"perfomance" car.

Tim Murphy
1961 TR4 #317