fot

Re: [Fot] cooling down a tr3

To: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>, Mike Jackson
Subject: Re: [Fot] cooling down a tr3
From: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 09:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
I think one good point that Mike made is the opening of the "hole" in the
apron. No matter what media is used for the radiator the stock TR2-3 apron
blocks airflow to the lower third of the radiator. On Randy W's car I cut the
sheet metal in the apron the width of the radiator and angled it down to allow
the air to flow to this lower third. I fabricated triangular metal pieces to
fill the ends and spotwelded them in. The only down side is that it does away
with having the ability to use a handcrank :o( (that's a joke folks). I'm also
surprised nobody has discussed the role that the bypass is playing.
  Thanks - Ed -

Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com> wrote:
  My reply got bounced for being too long.

I don't understand why racers would focus on having a radiator that's
the same size as the one designed for a 80 horsepower street car that
rarely saw full throttle. The GCRs don't require it. Engines generate
heat as a direct result of the horsepower they develop--they are about
35 percent efficient, so if you double the HP you triple the heat
load. Why have a marginal radiator? You get more power, better
component life, and fewer worries if you have a radiator that will
give you an adequate cooling margin. It's a trivial thing to fit and
you never have to pay attention to it again (unless there's something
wrong with your car). You're not reducing wind resistance with a
smaller radiator. I can't think of a single advantage except you
already have it. Radiators are a couple of hundred dollars. A racing
motor costs many thousands.

Just as a wild guess, but I'd expect that neither Kas nor Bob Tullius
or anyone else that seriously raced these cars in the day ever
contemplated using a stock-sized radiator unless the regulations
required them to.

On Jun 8, 2008, at 5:02 PM, Mike Jackson wrote:

> I partially disagree. I have a modern core between original
> headers. Glen opened a hole below the shelf to allow air to the
> portion of radiator below and did really good shrouding. The oil
> cooler is mounted alongside the radiator, not in front of it. With
> a gutted thermostat and a clean block/head interior our TR3 never
> overheats, even in the Florida heat in the summer. Maybe some of
> ya'll are producing a bunch more power than we are but the last time
> I asked Glen how much HP our motor was producing he wrote a number
> on the side of the valve cover that was pretty impressive.
>
> Mike

Fot mailing list
Fot@autox.team.net

You are subscribed as edwardbarnard@prodigy.net