fot

Re: [Fot] top hats

To: "Larry Young" <cartravel@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] top hats
From: "Steven Preiss" <spreiss@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:41:46 +1100
This is what John Esposito found in the trans in my TR3/4 when he was
swapping out the mainshaft to fit an O.D. unit. He marveled at the
resourcefulness of the "adaptation" but advised rebuilding the trans while
it was disassembled. (Actually sold me a rebuilt unit from the shelf that
has leaked like a sieve since, but that's another story.) Granted, there
were other problems he identified that figured into the prognosis, but I'm
pretty certain I remember him saying that the seat in the trans case was
worn beyond possible use with a standard type of bushing and that the
separate thrust washer (made of highly polished steel with grooves cut into
the wear face for lubing), would cause further and rapid wear of the case.
Steve P.----- Original Message -----