fot

Re: [Fot] top hats

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] top hats
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:06:28 -0700
> That sounds like a countershaft bushing issue not the top
> hat.

I agree.  The "top hat" bushing goes in the middle of the mainshaft, with
the 'brim' between 2nd & 3rd gear and the 'crown' carrying 2nd gear.

> With cases getting scarce they are worth saving through
> machining and adding a shim to fix the problem you describe.

Ok, a bit of thread drift here ... if you were machining that part of the
case anyway, why not go all the way and put in a Torrington (radial roller)
bearing ala Stag instead of the simple thrust washer that seems so
inadequate ?

The Torringtons seem readily available and reasonably priced.  Of course,
the tool to cut that surface would be interesting, but you've got to solve
that problem anyway even if you're just cleaning it up for a shim & thrust
washer.

Randall