fot

Re: [Fot] chaseCam no lbc

To: Keith Files <keithfiles@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] chaseCam no lbc
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:21:31 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Compressing video is pretty tough. The most efficient compression
tecniques are proprietary (like DivX) so you need a viewer that has
"codec" to read the compressed file. The other factor is the final video
output size (in pixels), smaller vidZ (like 320x240) can compress to
fairly small files (megabytes as opposed to hundreds of megabyes.)

But to get vidz small enough to e-mail, you'll have to edit out stuff to
get the actual video as short as possible, then reduce the size and see
whatcha get.

I haven't used any of the PC software for video at this point, but I have
spent quite a while with vidz on one of my Macs. On the Mac, it's
drop-dead simple to take the video file, edit it and export it at
different formats (sizes) and compression. The default seem to favor
either the web (small viewable size and highly compressed) or DVD output
which can make pretty big files (10gb / hour or bigger).

I have a couple of vidz on utube that I did on my Mac. The process took
about 20 minutes including the upload to utube.

So, the key is in the size and the length of the video. Worry about the
compression after that (when you "export" the video. Quality video makes
HUGE files.

rml
p.s. on a side note, I was chatting with another NER member (Richard
Hunter, an IT Honda driver) about Chase Cam and he reported problems with
his setup, but his seemed to be related to the fact that he got the video
overlay "box" so he can shoot ahead and point a camera at himself (or
behind the car or whatever) - he keeps getting corrupted files. But the
interesting comment was that "there's no documentation and the support
organization is pretty thin" (my words). Chase Cam is a good product, but
the world of video on computer is fairly complex.