fot

Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...

To: <BillDentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] My favorite memory of Jack...
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:15:07 -0400
As I remember it, (always a shaky thing to count on) both Jack's car and
the Thunderbolt suffered from improperly installed liners at that race.
I remember walking up to a large crowd of gawkers around the Thunderbolt
as Jack had the biggest pair of ChannelLock pliers I have ever seen in
his hands. He had those pliers clamped around a liner that was pulled
out of the block a few inches and was turning it to the proper
orientation. While there were many of us shaking our heads in disbelief,
that is the sight I remember. While I saw those ChannelLocks and
immediately went out a bought a pair, I promise I have never used them
to turn a liner in a built engine.

Then, when his car suffered the broken valve for the same problem, he
chose to grind the relief in the correct place, leaving his liner seated
in the block. An all-nighter was held at Larry's place, I remember some
great hospitality from Larry's wife as a crowd of Triumph guys descended
upon her house.

But weekends like these are not the way I choose to remember uncle jack.
I'll remember all those great weekends where we ran hard and I put my
car away wet.

Jack would never put his car away wet...

Henry Frye
Triumph Technology Consultants
860.653.3118 (o) - 860.508.3118 (m)