fot

Re: [Fot] Sad news from Road America

To: "Bill Babcock" <Billb@bnj.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sad news from Road America
From: "David Talbott" <dtalbott@archrepro.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:06:11 -0700

--===============0446466252==

------=_NextPart_000_003D_01C91E46.511DA0D0

When I first read the 8/10ths comment, I assumed it related to some kind =
of vintage rule about slowing by that amount in the proximity of an =
off-course car, or something similar.  It simply never occurred to me =
that there is an assumption that vintage racing is to be carried out at =
a such a reduced level.  I suppose the fraction refers as much to effort =
as it does to speed, but using our usual measure of speed, 8/10ths means =
you are adding around 20 seconds to a typical 90 second lap time.=20

I know that some of us (in our younger days) have been known to be =
susceptible to the dreaded "red mist," but at the other extreme, if I =
were driving at anything resembling an 8/10ths pace, I'd be a little =
concerned that I could potentially overlook something like a yellow =
flag.  I'm a firm believer that for myself, as my speed and adrenaline =
go up, so does my focus, awareness and attentiveness to the serious task =
at hand.=20

Obviously there is a point (and this is the red mist territory) where =
the desire to get past the car in front of you can preclude the ability =
of one's brain to see much else, but I'm clear that vintage events are =
not the place for that.  Not many racing venues today are for that =
matter, although there have been a number of drivers (Nigel Mansel comes =
to mind) who've been richly rewarded for just such behavior.  =20

DT
  ----- Original Message -----=20