fot

Re: [Fot] State of F1

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of F1
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:49:50 -0700
I think the biggest challenge in F1 is arbitrary rule enforcement--or
perhaps not arbitrary at all, since it's gotten a lot more like NASCAR
debris flags.

On the face of it, spec rules always sound good, but they yield the
most boring racing imaginable. If they really wanted to manage costs
they'd set a spending limit per team and let the teams decide how to
use the money. With a known expense model the participation could be
broader. But there's no way to know if the proposals are real or just
bargaining chips. Generally the more outrageous stuff is just
manipulation. All the same, I bet the current economic crisis has
Bernie soiling his knickers. No French GP, nothing in North America? A
crappy track in England? If current trends continue the lion's share
of the show will be in Asia. Empty stands, racing in 120 degree heat,
and sand on the tracks. You know there's a problem when the Shanghai
track uses a major set of grandstands to hold a sign. Like packing all
the patrons in a crappy restaurant into the window seats.

On Oct 20, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Joe Curry wrote:

> Does anyone besides me think that the things currently being
> proposed in an
> effort to cut costs will render F1 the same as any other spec
> class?  It
> sure looks like they are out to make all the cars the same.
>

> I like to watch F1 because it is essentially the pinnacle of
> technology.  If
> all teams are using the same engine, suspension and other arts, how
> can it
> possibly continue to be that way.
>

> Joe C.

Bill Babcock