fot

Re: [Fot] State of F1

To: "David W. Riddle" <dave@microworks.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of F1
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 19:54:51 -0700
Yesterday's supercomputer is todays PDI (built into your cell phone as
a giveaway). I remember when a megabyte was a megabyte. the first
serious database machine I bought was a Sperry IT with a 80286 and a
40 MB drive. Five K bux. This afternoon I tore apart one of my 1.5
terabyte drives because it had croaked. I wound up keeping one of the
two 750GB drives out of the array and sticking it in a $39 enclosure,
then I threw away the rest of the junk and bought a 2 TB drive at
Fry's for $369. Two years ago a terabyte cost about a thousand bucks,
four years ago it would have been about $5K, seven years ago I did a
campaign for Tektronix about their new 1TB Profile--a raid array for
storing video. The tab was about $50K.

Current state of the  art for even just your laptop is a dual quad
Intel chip. Most of the software available can't really use it's
capabilities. Super computers are either extremely fast in a serial
sense (limited) or massively parallel. If they are massively parallel
than everything that runs on them needs to be optimized up the wazoo,
and it's terrifically difficult to get stuff to work well. The
simplest approach is to guess at a whole bunch of answers and start
processing each guess while the correct answer is computed, then toss
away any processes based on the wrong guess. Massively wasteful but
hey, it's just processor cycles.

It really all comes down to software and the fundamental limitations
of computing. Supercomputers just ain't that super.

http://insidehpc.com/2007/07/31/sgi-the-official-supplier-of-hpc-to-mclaren-f

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2007/july/formula.htm

> And a page at MCLaren too
>
> http://www.mclaren.com/partners/interims/sgi-combination/index.html