fot

Re: [Fot] State of F1

To: "'Friends of Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] State of F1
From: "Jim" <britbits@netzero.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:37:38 -0500
Ed,

What you describe sounds like several of the recent racing efforts.  Despite
the rules.. most teams find ways to work around them.

Causing the other teams to toss more $$ (or their native currency) at the
problem... Or to concede defeat and bow out.

Can Am went that route and it looked good.. until Porsche dropped the 917K
on the competition.

IMSA GTP tried a similar formula... and in it's last years we had first a
Nissan domintation (which I cheered for at Daytona in 1991 ;) then a Toyota
domination.

There are some drivers that do well only in a tightly controlled setting..
And others who shine no matter what the machine.

I still miss seeing Al Holbert drive.  Despite all the handicaps put on the
962s, the Lowenbrau team was always a contender in the early days of IMSA.
Right before the plane crashed in '88 he was talking about a transmission
setup to let him shift under load to keep the boost up on the 962s.  Don't
know if it was just talk or something real in the pipeline.

My brothers were fans of his team, and knew Chip Robinson from the next town
over from where we grew up.  I guess Kas probably remembers Chip.. be
interesting to hear his views, offline.

Still, Mr Holbert basically put the nail in the coffin on the Group 44 Jag
effort.  Still the prettiest GTP cars ('83/'84 vintage) I've ever seen.

But back to Ed's concept.  Nascar is basically IROC for rednecks.  IRL...
Same idea for educated rednecks.

F1?  Snooty european rednecks?  Is there such an animal?  ;)

Anyway, this makes a great diversion from changing diapers.

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas... sometimes