fot

Re: [Fot] Detroit Locker

To: <yellow-green@sbcglobal.net>, "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Detroit Locker
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:12:10 -0600
Sure. It's just a mounting surface.

I had one once on my Mk. 1 Spitfire, repaired it so many times it finally
got "used up" and we just welded up a rear end. Decided I liked the welded
rear better.

With the limited slip, even with big axles I'd snap an axle about once a
year. Nice thing was I could keep going. Done more than one race with
one-wheel drive.

With the welded rear when I snap an axle I'm done. It just tears everything
up. BUT, I've only broken two axles since I've had the welded rear and
that's more than 15 years now. IOW, the axles survive a lot better, probably
because there's so much less slop in the rear end.

--Rocky Entriken