fot

Re: [Fot] [TR] Need a TR6 4 speed mainshaft

To: MMoore8425@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] [TR] Need a TR6 4 speed mainshaft
From: "Chuck Arnold" <triosan@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:37:39 -0800
I have late 4 speed tranny that had a j-type od till the diff broke at
maximum torque in 2nd gear -- resulted in chewing up the end of the
main shaft and ruining the OD mechanicals.  Built a new race car.
[not cause the diff broke, still have that car -- it is for lapping
days and spirited street driving, but not racing.  The new car has
about 200 hp at the wheels [I guess,given how it performed versus the
one I had dynoed at 180].  IT came with Goodparts 4.08 Nissan rear end
and a non-working a-type OD.  I had to lift at 7000 in 4th.  Blew the
engine up [something weird in oiling to #6 rod bearing -- I have lots
of oil tricks so it should not have happend --suspect FOD].

So, what I am doing is building a close ratio box in the old j-type
tranny [which is why I needed the mainshaft of which I now have two].
I have swapped the 4.08 diff for a 3.5.  That should make my top end a
more reasonable 6500.  The engine breathing and cam seem to make best
torque and hp above 4500.  Can hardly wait to get it all together
again. Other things I am doing this year is installing a Quartermaster
two disk clutch, an ATI fluid damper, main bearing strengthening kit
[which includes a steel housing for the rear main bearing and a steel
sealing block] and an aluminum sump.  The last two come from
Racestorations in the UK. I got them at $1.45 to the pound!.  The
aluminum pan is a work of art -- it is very much stiffer and holds
more oil -- and includes a windage tray.

Racestorations has another couple of really trick parts I will get
next year. These include heim joints for the upper a-arms so you can
adjust each independently  -- will allow really dialing in camber and
caster.  The other neat trick is machining the trailing arm and
installing bearings instead of the bushings.

http://www.racetorations.co.uk/catbend.html

Chuck
Happy racing!

--