fot

Re: [Fot] HANS Device

To: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] HANS Device
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:39:08 -1000
That's an interesting perspective, and certainly logical. The only
thing that doesn't bear up in my experience (which is certainly
subjective, and unsupported by statistics available to me) is that the
majority of nasty accidents seem to happen in the mid pack at vintage
races. And Vintage cars generally don't have anything leading edge in
their safety equipment. A mild steel rollcage constructed like those
of the late 60's, shoulder belts, fire suit, a good helmet and maybe a
HANs device. I'm sure you don't think that's anything like what saves
lives in F1, or Indycars, or Nascar, or drag racing, or virtually any
modern race car.

Sure, the stuff isn't cheap, but by and large it's a long-term
investment. Anyone that thinks this fairly minimal level of protection
makes them invulnerable has a few screws loose to begin with. Or has
never been in a serious racing accident in a vintage car and come away
lucky--because that's really all it is. Nothing in my car or on my
body saved me from being killed by that Corvette that T-boned me at
Watkins Glen. Just luck. Didn't hit the wall until most of the speed
had been scrubbed off. Didn't roll over while he was pushing me
sideways. Just luck.

The "keeps new people away from the sport" argument plays equally well
with not letting people race a clapped out H prod rabbit in Vintage. I
don't think the idea of vintage racing is to have the cheapest entry
point available in racing. I think that's karts.