fot

Re: [Fot] Thanks for comments on Jay Leno video

To: <GRMTim@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Thanks for comments on Jay Leno video
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 11:57:37 -0700
The last engines I did for the GT-6 in 1972 made 187 bhp at 8000.  This is
with the stock crank, rods, valves, 1.5" Stromberg's and all the other stock
stuff. It was 12.7 C.R and used 100 octane gas and the special velocity
stacks I made which I see you have on your car.

This was a very reliable engine and I think the Groups car probably made
about the same power as they were privy to everything we did and had.  Brian
Fuersteneau and Don Devendorf were having a ding dong trade the lead every
lap race at the runoffs in 1972 and no advantage on the chutes.  Don took
my car off the road after coming under the bridge and that was that, but it
seemed to me the cars were dead even in power. This is of course several
years after your car.  I would say in the 1969 time frame 170+ bhp is pretty
accurate, the same power  you are quoting.

My dyno's were used by Champion for spark plug work and they supplied me
with their engineering plugs for experimenting and detailed reports.  The
same dynos were used also by the natural gas company as we  were the only
people that could supply TRUE numbers in repeats and from day to day.

There is only one horsepower number if the system is accurate and the
operators are not fudging. I mention that because, my 170+ bhp  GT-6 could
pull a certain Datsun 2 liter supposed 190 bhp car right down the chute at
Riverside. We always referred to my horsepower as horses having big feet
with hair hanging  around and they pulled beer wagons. :-)