fot

Re: [Fot] Hot Wheels...WHY?

To: BillDentin@aol.com, budscars@comcast.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hot Wheels...WHY?
From: JHOUATHOME@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 13:23:58 EDT
At the risk of sounding like I am pandering...I would add a few names to
Bill's list.  There are so many who have been stalwart Triumph devotees,  who
have loved and raced our their TR's, but who have not won in the
limelight.  People like our own Joe Alexander, who we all at FOT owe so  much
to,
Uncle Jack Drews, the late Mike Belfer, and of course Mr. Dentinger  himself to
name but a few.  I look forward to the day when I can buy a red  #197 TR4,
a blue #59 TR4, and a baby blue "Beady Eye" TR3 for my  collection, and my
kids can tell their kids that "My Dad had the honor to  race with THOSE GUYS,
and I got to be there for it when I was a kid!"

I still own the very first Triumph I ever saw (watched it around town when
I was 5, bought it when I was 15!) and while I am delighted by, humbled by,
 and add my congratulations to, Bills list of luminaries, I am most
appreciative  of and inspired by these folks in our own FOT.  Thanks to all of
you
for  the past, present and future memories.  To be there when Bill won our
group race in the TR3 at the Chicago Historic races in 1987 (?) remains one
of  my best Triumph experiences.  I am sure that there are hundreds of other
 such memories in the group.  Thanks everyone for keeping the flame
burning.

John Houlton

In a message dated 10/4/2009 9:19:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
BillDentin@aol.com writes:

In a  message dated 10/03/2009 3:10:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
budscars@comcast.net writes:

> <<< just got mine in  the mail(Ebay)...got 2 silver and 1 green..really
> cool little
>  dudes! >>>

Like a Lemming, I've have followed the rushing  crowd to Walmart and
purchased two Hot Wheels TRIUMPH TR6 models.   They are both the #17 silver
race car
model.  Now if I can only find  my collection of Avon After Shave (in the
green glass TR3 bottles), I can  keep them all together.  I hope Shirley
hasn't
tossed them  out.

Why would a seventy year old man make a special trip to Walmart to  buy Hot
Wheels?  Total cost...$2.04.  And they're not a gift for  my grandchildren.

They're for myself no less.  It's because  what happened at ROAD AMERICA
last
week end is more frosting on our  cake.  Kas, Tullius, and a host of others
laid the foundation a half  century ago.  By shade tree backyard efforts,
that winning tradition  was continued in club racing for decades.  Long
after
TRIUMPH ceased  production the winning continues.  People like Prentice,
Wheeler, and  now Halkias continued the winning tradition.    Based on the
incredible number of wins, and in particular its club racing
record...clearly,
TRIUMPH, that sports car for the common man...that  sports car of the great
unwashed, is one of the greatest marques ever.

You bet!  I've got mine too.

Bill  (Damdinger)
You  are subscribed as  jhouathome@aol.com

Fot@autox.team.net