fot

Re: [Fot] spitfire head torque and valve adjustment

To: mark@bradakis.com, igofaster@att.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] spitfire head torque and valve adjustment
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:08:47 EDT
Now's the opportunity for the "Great Rocker Debate".  Seeing as how we
missed "Is it Vintage" this winter?

I adjust as Jim mentioned, Chuck adjusts on the rock as Mark says.

Pro's and cons?

In a message dated 3/15/2010 10:07:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mark@bradakis.com writes:

Bobby  Whitehead wrote:
> We'll we're are a three Triumph car family, two race  cars now. The GT6
and now
> a 1965 Spitfire we bought from Mac out in  L.A.

Nice.

> and I need the  valve adjustment sequence as I do not have a shop manual
yet.

Normally the way I do valves is turn  the crank until the intake and
exhaust for
some cylinder are 'on the  rock' where the exhaust is just about closed
and the
intake just  starting to open.  Then I adjust the valves for that
cylinder's  mate.
On the Spits that would be cylinders 1 & 4 and 2 & 3.   If you follow the
firing order it goes fairly  quickly.

mjb.