fot

Re: [Fot] Ridge riding (no Triumph content, but kool)

To: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Ridge riding (no Triumph content, but kool)
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:42:45 -0400
On 3/20/2010 3:22 AM, Tony Drews wrote:
> I was just going to send this to Joe (A) since he's got the pilot
> background but thought y'all might enjoy this too.  It's a 4 min video
> that seemed like only a minute or two to me.  What a thrill this must be.
> http://www.flixxy.com/glider-airplane-ridge-soaring.htm
>
> - Tony Drews
Kewl.  When I had about 200 hours SEL I decided to get a glider rating,
so I showed up at the airport carrying my usual accouterment of pilot
gear, including my headsets.  Not one of the glider guys laughed at me
(at least not while I was looking).  I was absolutely blown away by how
quiet the flights were - you could actually hear changes in the air!
But then we didn't have "tunes" playing, either.

I guess out west you can get away with flying as low as the video guy
did.  Here in the east there's too much radar coverage to allow that
sort of stunt w/o a visit from the FAA.

Tnx for sharing it Tony.

jim

--