fot

Re: [Fot] Spitfire driveline vibrations

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Spitfire driveline vibrations
From: Tim Pettenati <tpettenati@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 07:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
Jim,

The PO of my spit told me of a similar problem he had with the car.  He
went through the same attempted fixes, balancing the tires, replacing the
u-joints, having the driveshaft balanced.  The final cure was replacing the
driveshaft.  I'm not positive but I think the new shaft is fixed length, where
as the old one was a slip joint.  I'll take a look under the car tonight and
let you know for sure.

My old Haynes manual shows both types of driveshaft,
the 'frictionless'  (slip joint) and the solid propeller shaft.  I'm not sure
I understand the need for a slip joint with a fixed rear diff.  Here is what
is listed for lengths of the different shafts.  Just in case you decide to try
a fixed length shaft.

BRD solid            41.62" (105.72 cm)
BRD
frictionless    41.37" (105.09 cm)