fot

Re: [Fot] Hard cornering

To: 'MIKE DEWEERD' <deweerdm@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hard cornering
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:28:17 -0500
When I got my TR3 it handled like crap.  I didn't know if the problem
was my lack of talent or the car's suspension.  I knew next to nothing
about suspension, so I read through all the FoT archives.  I also found
the Puhn book to be very helpful.  I also played with a suspension
analysis program.

Many with a TR3 or TR4 with solid axle have found they like an almost
stock rear and very stiff front, such as:
1. stiff front springs, many use 450 lb/in MGBGT springs
2. 1 inch anti-sway bar in front
3. 2 1/2 degrees negative camber seems to be about right for Hoosier
Speedster, 1 1/2 degree for Vintage TD.  This can be achieved by
shortening the up A arms.
4. toe in should be 0 to 1/16 inch
5. eliminate bumpsteer by raising or lowering the steering rack (TR4) or
by heating and bending the steering levers (TR3)
6. lower the front by shortening the donuts or by using shorter springs
7. lower the rear by dearching the rear springs or by using lowering blocks.
8. the rear should be basically stock, but the BFE rear spring locator
kit may help
9. hard bushings are also a good idea.
This should give a pretty good starting point.  You can tweak from
there.  I followed this recipe and it completely transformed the car.  I
never did get to the tweaking phase.

You can find a lot of discussions of suspension in the archives.  I
especially like the discussion where Jack Drews said they had all this
neat "stuff" on their suspension and with each piece they took off,
their laps times got faster.

Larry Young
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com