fot

Re: [Fot] Trackwidth of Spitfire 1500

To: mdporter@dfn.com, spitlist@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Trackwidth of Spitfire 1500
From: REK46@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 05:43:05 -0400 (EDT)
FYI...the current SCCA rules for max track are: 1500= 53.6" frt and 54.6"
rear..........1300= 53.6" frt and 52.6" rear,  measured between the center
of the rims of two wheels at one end of the car,with any angular adjustments
at  normal settings and steered wheels in the straight ahead
position...Quote from  2010 GCR and PCS.

In a message dated 8/26/2010 6:38:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mdporter@dfn.com writes:

On 8/26/2010 2:40 PM, Joe Curry wrote:
> According to the Haynes manual,  the track of a Spitfire 1500 is:
>
> Front: 49" (121.9 cm)
>  Rear: 50" (127 cm)

Hmm, the rear track inches to centimeters  conversion is correct, but,
the front is not.  121.9 cm is 47.99",  which would be rounded to 48".

Depends on which measurement comes  from the factory, I suppose, and
where the track is supposed to be  measured.  I always thought that the
track was supposed to be  measured through the center of the wheel, in
order to minimize the  distortions in the measurement occurring due to
camber, and because camber  is variable across the range of motion.  For
the Spit, even if the  outside front track allowable by the rules was 51
inches and change,  modest camber changes would take up a lot of that
three-inch difference,  since the stock Spit has maybe 1-1/2 deg.
positive camber to begin with,  presuming that track is measured at the
bottom of the wheel.

In  this case, at any rate, I'd trust the factory figures, rather than
those  in Haynes, if some baseline is necessary.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive  you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....