fot

Re: [Fot] Hub grease

To: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>, <tr4racing@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Hub grease
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 08:25:45 -0700
We have been using Shell "Darina" grease for years. It was developed by
shell for lubricating the wheel bearings of the carts that carried molten
steel around in the steel foundries.  They make it in Grade #1 and 2 ( this
refers to the viscosity, we use Grade 2), and in EP (with extreme pressure
additives) and non-EP. We use the EP suffix grease.  We have used it for
years as an all purpose grease in our shop. We buy it in 56 lb. pails. I do
not know what the minimum standard packaging size. We do have some empty
grease tubes that we could fill if someone wants us to do so.
    I am sure Shell would be happy to supply spec information on this grease
to anyone who is interested.
    In an old Sunbeam workshop manual that we have, there is an illustration
of a "properly packed wheel hub".  It shows the cavity between the bearings
filled with grease around its' periphery so that the level of the grease is
level with the outer races of the bearing.  This will prevent grease from
migrating from within the bearing rollers to an empty cavity leaving the
bearing dry.

                                    Greg Solow
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com