fot

Re: [Fot] assembly lube

To: "Bob Kramer" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>, "Barr, Scott"
Subject: Re: [Fot] assembly lube
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:02:22 -0700
Most of the cam grinders supply assembly lube paste with their cams.  We can
supply tubes of Moly paste for under 10.00 a tube made by "Lubromolly" a
German company.  "HRL" used to supply it. There are a lot of different
suppliers.  they are probably all ok as long as the contain Molybdenum di
Sulfide as the primary extreme pressure additive. We try to use this past on
all iron to iron (cam & lifters) or steel  to steel (rocker arm tip to the
end of the valve stem,  that are subjected to very high contact pressures
and rubbing contact any time the engine has been freshly assembled, but
especially when the parts are new and have never run together.
    For the rest of the engine, crank, rod bearings, piston to pin, rings,
piston skirts, rod bush to pin, rocker shaft to rocker arms, oil pump,
timing chain and tensioner, cam bearings and journals, front and rear seals,
& so on, we think it is appropriate to use oil. Good 50 weight racing oil
fortified with a liquid Moly supplement is what we use. We make it up by
mixing a 50/50 mix of the engine oil with a good liquid engine oil
supplement that contains a high amount of Moly.  I do not have an exhaustive
list of suppliers, but "Mr Moly" &  "Slip",  are two that I have used over
the years with good success.  It may be that in this application, the Moly
may not make any difference, but that what is important is the liberal
application of high quality 50 weight Racing oil.  The 50 SAE oil will not
drain away in storage, (unless it is for a very long time). It may be that
the Moly just makes me feel good by its' presents!
    Using assembly lube paste where there are bearings (ie. actual bearing
material like on a typical rod bearing) can destroy the bearing upon
startup.  The paste can be thick enough do to this. "Don't ask me how I know
this!"
    A lot of "production engine rebuilders" use thin, lightweight bearing
assembly grease on bearings in engines that might be "on the self" for a
long time before they are used.  "Lubriplate" makes an assembly lube grease
that is lightweight and white in color for this purpose. It has a good
reputation. I have never used it for this purpose. All the engines we do are
usually put in service within a short time after they are assembled. The
purpose of the Lubriplate assembly grease is to insure that the there is
lubrication on all of the bearing surfaces if the engine has been in storage
for over  months or a year after it was assembled.

                            Greg Solow

PS Moly as an anti-friction, extreme pressure additive really works. Years
ago we did a valve job on an air cooler VW.  Just after putting the engine
back into the car I drove it over Highway 17 past San Jose to Hayward.The
first 30 miles I took it easy, below 55 mph. Then I speeded up to 65 mph on
the flat in San Jose, 2 or 3 minutes at that speed and the #1 Exhaust valve
would stick in the guide & the pushrod would fall out of position in the
rocker arm. Probably excess heat.  times I freed up the valve and put the
pushrod back in position, each time  3 or  minutes at 65 mph, the same thing
happened. In  Hayward  I put in a bottle of "slip" Moly engine oil additive.
75 mph all the way back to Santa Cruz.  The valve never stuck again.  This
was a permanent fix. The Moly really does "plate on" to the surface of the
metals and creates  a sacrificial sliding surface of molecules that prevents
metal to metal contact.
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html