fot

Re: [Fot] May Vintage Event at Road America...

To: BillDentin@aol.com,fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] May Vintage Event at Road America...
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 23:50:59 -0500
'twas cold all weekend.  Friday was Foggy and delayed us almost an
hour for the start.  I think they gave up on the fog lifting and just
sent us out hoping for the best.  We all tippy toed around and
eventually decided that there was decent traction, but the session
ended so they could try to get caught up.  The 12:30 session was the
same kinda deal - made it down into the high 2:50's (like 2:57) for
that session putting me 12th in the group.  Saturday was misting so
the track was in varying stages of wet, but there wasn't enough water
in the air to soak the drivers suit, just to keep the visibility
through the visor iffy.  Didn't set any track records in the timed
practice, so started 12th in the qualifying race Saturday
afternoon.  I had mounted new Speedsters at the beginning of the
weekend and that started to look like a wise thing to do.  I found
the "rain line" to work quite well.  I passed several cars on the
front straight at the start, dove 3 wide into turn 1 and had a
blast.  I kept passing the next guy, watched one or two spin out in
front of me and worked my way up to 4th chasing down a black 356.  I
worried him in the corners enough that he ran wide going onto the
front straight.  I ended the race in 3rd and was catching the leaders
(although I'm sure they backed off due to conditions).  Sunday was
dry but 49 degrees and 30 mph winds.  They re-gridded us based on
best times so I started 12th again.  Worked my way up to 8th - ended
up running by myself though.  Ended up with a mid 2:54 as my best
lap.  The Saturday race was particularly satisfying - I felt like a
Hero in that one - ON THE EDGE but at 75% of the normal speed.

Got to meet John Hagen and the new to him TR-4.  Nice looking car -
he's obviously spent quite a bit of time on it.  Saw him pulling it
on the trailer on Sunday - decent outing for a first time out, neat
guy, great addition to our group.

Tony Drews