fot

[Fot] metalurgy question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] metalurgy question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:23:51 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I'm fettling a Falcon SS header for one of my TR6's. The installation
pretty much requires that you make some reliefs in the downpipe so that
you can install the hold-downs. No surprises there.

Now, although I've been using an oxy-acetylene torch for 15 years, I've
never actually trained on it's use, so I'm on new ground owing to the
material - 304 stainless.

I heated the tube area where it's to be relieved so that it's bright red.
I then hammered the tube with various types of hammers to get the general
shape I want. Again, no big deal.

The issue / question is: when the tube cools down, it has a fairly rough
texture to it. It's sort of grey-ish. I'm thinking that I may have
overheated the surface and / or had the flame a tad (or extremely) on the
"oxidizing" side if things. So, assuming that I was closer to "welding"
than just reshaping, is it possible to bring the surface back to something
that looks like tubing from the tube factory or should I just leave well
enough alone?

The eventual goal is to ceramic coat the header, if that has an bearing on
the topic.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              Triumph TR6!!            |  This space for rent
Former NER Solo Chair                          |
Voice:617-253-7438                             |  Cell: 339-927-4489
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive