fot

Re: [Fot] Bearing problem

To: SpiwakD@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Bearing problem
From: toodamnfunky@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 15:29:17 +0000 (UTC)
Bearing clearances and oil weight are a couple you can check.

Check the remaining main clearances. Some builders use .003

on the rods and mains. Greg Solow uses .0025 - .00275.

Do you know what your clearances were ? And what weight oil

were you running.

I was reading up on different oils and went to the Joe Gibbs site and

found some interesting bits. This is the first time I have seen different

oil weights matched to bearing clearances. If interested here's the link

and some text I cut & pasted from the site.

http://www.joegibbsdriven.com/products/syntheticracingoil/xp2.html

XP-1

Viscosity typical of SAE 5W-20.

V8 engines with clearances under .0025

XP-2

Viscosity typical of SAE 0W-20.

Restricted air intake engines and engines with clearances under .0020

XP-3

Viscosity typical of SAE 10W-30.

Engines with clearances under .0027

XP-7