fot

Re: [Fot] 1500 Spit rockers

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] 1500 Spit rockers
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 11:20:12 -0400
Joe & List.  We sell only Harland Sharp and have for 20 years. Good
product, tons of experience (they were the first ones to develop a
roller rocker for small block Chev circa 1960) and great tech support.
Rockers have a feature that oils both the rocker tip and the push rod
cup. We supply these with bronze rocker shaft  bushings.  You will see
roller rockers advertised with needle bearings for the rocker shaft.
There are some issues with needle bearings.  #1- oil has a tendency to
"fall out"of the needle bearings due to needle bearing design. This is
fine if you are pulling rocker assembly for inspection regularly (as in
every week-end). #2 - since the rocker arm rotates only a small distance
around the rocker shaft, and needle bearings are very hard by design,
this create the potential for severe shaft wear. Needle bearings are
great for supporting a spinning shaft, such as internal gear box parts,
but they ride in lubrication all the time and they are supporting the
entire shaft, not just a small area of the shaft.  If you have an engine
that lives at high revs, good size rocker shaft diameter, excellent
oiling and checked often (smallblock Chevy sprint car engines, NASCAR,
etc) needle bearings will work (but so does their budget for tear down
and rebuild). Extremely high ratio rockers unless coupled with very low
rate valve springs are death on the valve train  Ted

--
Ted Schumacher
tedtsimx@bright.net

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive