fot

Re: [Fot] sealing TR4 rear main cap

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] sealing TR4 rear main cap
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 11:58:38 -0400
On 7/31/2011 9:23 AM, J.C. Hassall wrote:
> Haaaaaalp!  I'm at my wit's end.  The rear main cap is still leaking
> ("pouring"?).  In the course of maybe 20 minutes run time it dumped
> ~1/2cup of oil and some drips of sealing shellac.
Tnx for the responses, here's additional background.  The engine has
less than 300 miles on a complete rebuild, although the rings should be
fairly well seated by now (WOT in 3rd, then back off, etc).  The block
is vented by the usual draft tube, valve cover with the stock mesh
filler cap.  (The original intent of this car was autoxing, but now it
seems to be a garage ornament). I have not as yet tied the block vent to
the exhaust, still trying to figure where to put the venturi downstream
from the O2 sensor.

My theory is that the shellac is the culprit, since (I believe) it
should set up hard and stay that way, thus forming an impregnable seal
with the felt.  What are folks using to soak the felt?

I can't change to Chris' seal, as the crank has been turned to the 2.500
dimension, balanced and nitrided.  I should consider that a sunk cost
and just get another crank, but the Navy could have built another
aircraft carrier for what I've sunk in the ole buggy, so I need to take
SWMBO for a successful spin first. :-)

--
Jim Hassall
Blacksburg VA