fot

Re: [Fot] sealing TR4 rear main cap

To: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>,fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] sealing TR4 rear main cap
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:28:14 -0500
Your assembly sounds exactly like mine, and I got it to not leak very
much this year.  The one change I made (due to a dialog on this forum
a while back) is to:
1. Make sure that the vent tube that goes through the rear main from
the rear seal to below the crank is open.
2. Drill two extra 3/8" holes in the rear main cap parallel to the
built in vent tube on either side of the vent tube.  If you don't
give the oil any place to go, it will go out the rear main no matter
HOW good the seal is.

I suspect the above is your issue - you can get a little oil through
the vent tube (works on the starter) but not a lot of oil through the
vent tube (doesn't work when engine is running).

The Indian Head Shellac has worked fine for me (and for Uncle Jack)
for years - that's not your problem.  I do not soak the felt for more
than a few seconds.  It does come out both sides of the gap between
the main and the block and is messy.

Also, make sure that you're not really leaking from somewhere else
like the cam plug or the end of the main oil gallery.  Both of those
will fill up your bellhousing in no time.

Tony Drews