fot

Re: [Fot] Triumph TR4 NJMP in car

To: ac@camoletti.ch, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Triumph TR4 NJMP in car
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:09:11 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 11/07/2011 9:17:35 AM Central Standard Time,
ac@camoletti.ch writes:

> Gents, is the Lotus at fault? It seems to me the TR4 just followed the
> inside radius and the Lotus went against as it tried to close the door?
> Sorry it may be a newbie questions but the most I learn before going on
> the
> track, the best it is!

A good question, which might produce an interesting thread, and give all of
us pause to consider what we can do to keep vintage racing safe.

Early on in so called 'vintage racing', in an effort to promote safety, and
accommodate eclectic racing grids with a wide disparity of talent and
horsepower, the race car whose nose hit the entry to a corner first 'owned' the
line, and any car behind was expected to give up any attempt to pass in that
corner.  I recall Bob Tullius commenting at an early event banquet at Road
America that he felt all racing was dangerous, and 'vintage racing' should be
limited to a 'high speed parade'.  Yeah...right.  Let's date naked but not
touch anything.

Well, we all know that it is very difficult to only put it in a little.  In
the heat of battle, the best of good intentions can go astray.  This is
particularly true when experienced racers vintage race.  Both Dick Stockton and
Denny Wilson are veteran racers, with loads of experience.  Here they were
involved in a very hard fought race.  It is unfortunate, but not surprising
that it might end with an unfortunate incident.

I would be very interested in knowing what action the Steward and/or
Driver's Committee took as the result.

>From what I can see in the video, Dick had a nose in front at the entry to
the corner, and Denny seemed to out brake him, got the lead and was then
going to follow a traditional line through the corner.  This includes going
EXACTLY where Dick is going to go next.  'Well prepared' (read into that what
you want) Lotus 7s and TRIUMPH TR4s are not equally nimble, nor are their
brakes necessarily equal.  I am not surprised there was an incident as the
result.

I think it was GREAT racing, and I enjoyed watching it.  It is unfortunate
that there was an incident.  I like Mordy's take that it is great only egos
and sheet metal got injured.

Bill Dentinger
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com