fot

Re: [Fot] Update on Austin Tx F1

To: FOT of <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Update on Austin Tx F1
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:58:37 -0800
I'm not part of the Bernie Defense Team, but my experience in deals of this
magnitude is that the public story has little to do with the real story. And I
doubt Bernie tagged that 25 million on at the end of the negotiation--all
parties knew they had to come up with it. F1 is the big leagues, and all those
folks are playing for big stakes. It's snakes biting snakes. And if they can't
come up with 25 million to satisfy their deal, how are they going to make the
show work? That's chump change.  The rest rooms at the Marina circuit cost
more than that.

And Indy for F1? Come on. It sucked. I LOVE F1 and I couldn't bear to watch
it. Participation in F1 is a source of national pride for the coutries that
play in that arena. If it's not the case for the US, then we shouldn't be
involved other than watching on Speed. Better to have NO participation than
something half-assed.

On Nov 19, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Jason Ostrowski wrote:

> Yes well said about Bernie and money and perfect is the proverb of the
> Snake! With even the best business model it is nearly impossible to recover
> from 25 million off the top.
> Lets say you sell 100,000 tickets at $100 each, that's 10 mil. As Terry
> said without Major corporate involvement forget about it as a money maker.
> Look at Indy, a wealth of experience in putting on successful events going
> back 100 years. That place was packed with fans and support... especially
> the early ones. But Bernie didn't seem to notice, and didn't care. Measured
> on a reasonable scale that event was good for Indy, F1, manufactures, fans,
> the USA etc. I'm afraid a Net gain of 25 million, in world where most
> sanctioning bodies struggle to make any money, is out of reach.
> The sad thing is all the energy and money that was wasted on caring for the
> Snake. So much for "If you build it they will come"
> Jason Ostrowski
> Friendly Ghost Racing
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM, <spitlist@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Sounds like a case of:  If you don't play by my rules, I'm gonna take my
>> ball and go home."  With Bernie, it's all about the money.  He could care
>> less about the US fans as long as he can extract maximum bucks from them.
>>
>> ---- Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com> wrote:
>>> Looks like the Austin Tx Grand Prix is in trouble:

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-ecclestone-gives-austin-until-next-
week-to-save-us-gp