fot

Re: [Fot] TR4 front brakes

To: "William Dewar" <pcdelux@verizon.net>, "Jim Gray"
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 front brakes
From: "M&M Hado" <mhado@att.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:05:44 -0600
Jim & Bill,

I have a TR3B that had the residual pressure valve installed originally.  A
couple years ago I removed it, cleaned the internals and reinstalled the
valve, with the internal components.  It had always been in there as far as
I remember but this was the first time I disassembled it for cleaning and
inspection.  I think, more than anything else, I was just curious as to what
the insides looked like and how it worked since there is no detail in the
books.

Since that time I have noticed that when I stop on a slight grade. I can
take my foot off the brake and the car does not drift back unless I wait for
maybe a minute or so.  It was clear that it was indeed working as it was
supposed to but I was also concerned, as you were, that my pads would wear
quickly.  Plus I had a slight squeal that I couldn't get rid of.

After reading in several different places about how it was not worth having,
I removed the internals.  Immediately I found that I had to pump the brake
on EACH application to get it to "be solid" again.  This happened even after
a short drive.  I thought I had some air in the lines but, after bleeding,
got the same result.  I then decided to put the internals back in and the
cushy petal problem went away immediately.

The message is that keeping the internals in the valve worked for me.  This
may not be the case in every car but I found that I prefer the firm petal to
the pumping, and I can live with the slight squeal.  As a side note, I plan
to change to the Toyota caliper setup soon anyway.

Mike Hado
TTR - Houston