fot

Re: [Fot] Group 44 Spitfire rollover?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Group 44 Spitfire rollover?
From: "Joe Guinan" <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 11:11:32 -0600
Fot members,

I received the following response from Mark, containing a request that I
repost to the list.

I'm somewhat familiar with the Summers Brothers Axle set-up for the
Spitfire/GT6.  Photos I have saved on my hard drive seem to include a
U-Joint assembly that is different than the stock Triumph unit and utilizing
Spicer parts.  I don't have part numbers or knowledge of the history of what
has been offered or used by others.  I've discussed this topic with several
on this list in years past, and I am pretty sure there is at least one FOTer
who has done some development work on the hubs (Chuck Gee?), and I think
that one of our members actually sells these Summers Brothers units (Joe
Siam?).

I certainly don't want to open up a can of worms, and appreciate the fact
that these attempt to supply a need for a very small market.  However, I
would be really happy to have Mark's U-Joint issue cleared up for us so that
we know what needs to be done to make these things work safely.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE

***************************Original
Message****************************************
Joe,

I bought axles from Sommers Bros in CA. Told them what I had and they sent
me new ones I installed then and thought I was safe. WRONG. Basically they
used stock Spitfire u joint castings with new u joints. They did not tell me
or ask me if I wanted to use Corvair parts, how the heck am I supposed to
know about that need? They have been doing this for 30 years and they are
supposed to be the experts and such right?? Anyway the u joint casting is
sort of fine but the u joints themselves are weak and that is what failed.
So now I got great axles that are splined to poor strength castings and no
way to modify or reuse them to use them again. 2000.00 down the tubes thanks
to Sommers Bros. Not to mention the potential life damage and or the damage
done to the car overall.

I don't know how to reply to these and have them appear on the site so if
you do please do for the sake of others so they don't have this issue like I
did.

Mark Craig
Diesel Performance Parts, INC.
411 Allied Drive