fot

Re: [Fot] max. TIR for TR4 aluminum flywheel?

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] max. TIR for TR4 aluminum flywheel?
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:38:32 -0400
On 3/18/2012 6:06 PM, J.C. Hassall wrote:
> Amici,
>
> What is the maximum flywheel total indicator runout you'd feel
> comfortable with?  I was finally able to remount the Fidanza f/w on my
> TR4 engine this afternoon, only to find that it has 0.005 TIR.  I have
> no record on my build log of the previous runout, so I need advice.
> Given that it's for "fast road" / autox, red line 6K (nitrided crank,
> lightened and balanced rotating bits, PP and f/w balanced as an
> assembly), do you think 0.005 is too much?  Since all mating surfaces
> were clean and smooth, of course I was shooting for 0.000, so needless
> to say I was disappointed.

As the saying goes, "Cleanliness is next to godliness, unless you're
building an engine, then the order is reversed."  The TIR problem was
simply due to undetectable grunge on either the f/w or the crank.  After
vigorously wire brushing the interfaces, it went back together
perfectly.  Since I specified 0.000 TIR in the satellite equipment I
used to design, I figured zero was what I should have here.  And I got
it!  Happiness is zero TIR.

Now, on to the next opportunity....

--
Jim Hassall