fot

Re: [Fot] Valve Lash While Engine is Hot

To: "Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com" <Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Valve Lash While Engine is Hot
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 19:27:12 -0600
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
On 4/11/2012 8:04 PM, Tylerpthompson@yahoo.com wrote:
> My engine has a Paeco TR-6600 cam.  The cam card calls for a .014 intake/.016
> exhaust valve lash.  A little looser than stock, but not by much.  I know
> folks running larger clearances on the hotter cams and wonder if these
> clearances may be a bit too tight.
>
> That said, In talking with a fellow racer tonight who will remain nameless (I
> don't want to name him in case I get a lot of back "lash" from this question)
> he thought I should ask the FOT group if anyone has measured lash on a hot
> motor after a race.  We expect it to be tighter, and perhaps there is an
> optimum clearance we should be shooting for.  Just a thought in case my valve
> lash is too tight.

I'm kind of surprised Larry Young hasn't weighed in on this one.  Here's
his Tilden Tech page on valve lash:

http://www.tildentechnologies.com/Cams/Tip_Lash.html

Larry does make a point about the difference between opening quickly and
acceleration (i.e., the two are not equivalent).

As for lash hot/cold, it's a lot easier to get uniform settings doing it
cold, if only because one has to move like the bejesus to get (in the
case of a 6-cyl.) twelve valves adjusted while the engine's still hot,
and there's always the worry that the engine will cool enough that some
will end up being too loose. It's fine to /check/ them hot against the
cold settings, and calculate the best cold setting.  As for any uniform
rules, engine to engine, about them getting tighter or looser with
temperature, or by how much, I doubt it.  When I was doing a lot of
air-cooled VW engines, it occurred to me that a stock cold lash of
0.006" didn't seem like much, given how hot the exhaust valves ran
(thinking that the stems would grow quite a bit).  Not so.  The heads
got a good deal taller, and the hot lash was ~ 0.016".  All-iron
engines, on average, probably grow less, because the coefficient of
expansion is ~ 1/4 that of aluminum.

Another tip on the lash is to have a really critical eye about the
rocker noses. Even though they're hardened, they have a tendency to
pound down after a while, and if there's even the slightest cupping,
you'll find it nearly impossible to get the lash right with an ordinary
shim stock gauge.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....