fot

Re: [Fot] Clutch suggestions?

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Clutch suggestions?
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@spitfire4.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:29:31 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1334780947; bh=wVNBch5db2mlzu+8fFeKQlwfnWzI9v64jDj5VaiUiKo=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=5Dq04ZK889XOMlS/YHwHq1gxOdQa0l9CEZXx4U3HUoReO7fampQ+G1tfyHdUkAyAHqYXaPAUZTpx3yFpb1Nzu1EhTn1orp17DWrHLTelmTe7P35ViHue69B6KTZ/KNHqAqdKs7MSgYp+SYKrLLuAVxuAhh7iMhb8pidd/o5FV/w=
Sender: fot-bounces@autox.team.net
For years I used a stock Spitfire clutch. After I began to upgrade the engine, the clutch seemed more stressed, including a couple of clutch disk failures -- shedding the facing material entirely and even twisting the center right out of the disk (which I did more than once). Obviously slipping was not the problem, but other forces were.

An easy fix turned out to be competition clutch disks that were solid in the center (not slotted, no springs). The only "problem" was learning to slip the clutch intentionally as it would grab immediately -- if revs weren't up it'd stall and kill the engine. Tricky driving it back on the trailer, for example, but eventually I learned how (or it would wear in enough to become easier).

--Rocky Entriken

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>