fot

[Fot] Damn Differential

To: triumph friends <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Damn Differential
From: Jason Ostrowski <jason@multivintage.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 18:27:23 -0500
Well I think I reached a new high level of frustration in Triumphing Today.
Surely there are tools out there to make this a quick and easy job....but
yet again tools I don't have.
I have done a lot of hard and frustrating jobs on these cars over the years.
But the rear bushing removal and install on a Spit/GT6 diff.has to be one
of the most difficult tasks yet.
Blisters on my hands, 2 ruined hardened sockets, two stripped threaded
rods,no less than 8 heavy washers (2 hardened) destroyed, and two nuts
mangled.
And 1 Nut drenched in sweat with a pounding headache.

On the plus side, my fresh "home made" locked differential is done and will
go in the car tonight.
All this for a couple hours of track time at Road America this weekend.
Remind me again why it's so rewarding to be your own mechanic.
Perhaps I'm in the minority of idiots.
If you were going golfing, can you imagine telling your golfing buddies
that you had spent the night before a round of 18 holes....laying on the
floor of your garage floor covered in grease and sweat on the verge of
tears for more hours than you care to count....fixing your 9 iron?
Craziness.

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing