fot

[Fot] Coil Overs at the Rear

To: FOT List <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Coil Overs at the Rear
From: Charles WATSON <clw2000@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 09:05:33 -0500 FILETIME=[E964DA10:01CDDDF1]
Friends:

I see a lot of folks in various marquees (including Triumphs) using coil-over
shocks in the rear to supplement a tired leaf-spring.  I noticed Ratco is
selling this as an upgrade to the TR suspension.  My question, especially with
regard to a rotoflex axle in my GT6 is, why not?

benefits seem to be:
- spring travels same path as shock
- easily adjustable spring rate and height

downsides:
- possible space limitations (probably avoidable when going from donut to CV)
- what am I missing???

If you're redoing the entire suspension anyway, is this not a good way to go?
And if not, has anyone tried the composite "leaf" springs and saved the 40-50
lbs of steel?

Thanks,

Chuck Watson