fot

[Fot] H6 Gland packing help

To: Triumph Friends of <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] H6 Gland packing help
From: Mike Mehl <mike.mehl@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 12:57:26 -0800 (PST)
I have been doing some work on the TR4 race car over the winter here in the
Northwest.  I am switching to an H6 carb set up from the HS6 carbs I had used
the last 3 years (long story on why - though I had a carb problem when it was
a head gasket).  I am having problems with the packing leaking around the
Jets.  The Jets are new from Joe Curto.  When initially put the carbs on the
car and applied fuel pressure they started dripping.  I replaced the new cork
packings with the Orings that Moss sells.  They leaked as well.  So I did some
looking on the internet and SU says to soak the cork packings in motor oil.  I
did that and put the carbs back together after soaking.  I had some head work
done and finally have the engine all together.

I ran the engine today for
the first time and the jets are still leaking.  Does the leaking go away the
carbs have been used awhile?  The Jets never actually get used other than to
center the needle with no choke linkages.

Any ideas would be appriciated.

thanks!!!

Mike Mehl
#46 TR4 - Vancouver Washington