fot

Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-

To: FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sadly a Sign of the times-
From: Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:01:28 -0500
Napas in our area have disappeared.  The last independent auto parts store in
Austin sold out about 15 years ago. Curiously, the best service I've had in
recent years is from a 20-something young lady at O'Reilly's in Bastrop, TX.
I would try to get her to serve me since she would take the time to research,
making phone calls to the central catalog library if necessary, until she had
exhausted the possibilities.  She said her dad made sure she knew how to find
what auto parts customers were looking for.  Too bad she's moved on, so now
all I get is the blank stare and a flat reply of "we don't have that" with no
attempt to dig deeper.  But -- occasionally I will insist that they keep
looking, ignoring what the computer says about their inventory, and calling in
to the catalog library if necessary to see what crosses over or what can be
ordered.

But one of the real gems for non-engine related stuff in Austin is Breed & Co.
(Ace) hardware.  I can go in there and say, "I'm trying to fabricate something
that will perform this function; it has to be made of X and be about so big."
These guys (about half of them over retirement age, so probably just working
there to stay busy) love a challenge and will often find me something I can
adapt to work.

Duncan
(Texas)
1952 Morgan Plus 4