fot

Re: [Fot] VR-1 Oil

To: "'John Hasty'" <jhhasty@gdhs.com>, "'Jim%20Roelofs'" <bluebit@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] VR-1 Oil
From: "Spitfire Racing" <spitfire_racing@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 06:23:03 -0400
Cc: 'FOT' <fot@autox.team.net>
Why would someone risk their engine for the sake of a few dollars cheaper
oil? Let's put this in perspective. The cost of a reasonable running
"vintage" engine these days runs between $5k and $10k, some even more. Maybe
you can save $12 on each oil change but that is nothing compared to the
expense of a refresh or rebuild of an engine. I am not a petro-chemical
engineer but have read reports by some who are. The impressions I got is
that by far the safest and easiest way to insure proper amounts of
lubrication additives was to go with an oil like Brad Penn.
Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinions but if the saving of a
few dollars is a primary parameter in your choice of oil, do look at the big
picture. Vintage racing is expensive these days and will continue to be.
Auger into your considerations also the cost of entry and transportation
fees for a weekend where you become a spectator due to an engine failure.
These are significant sums for many of us. To coin a clichi; "Choose
wisely!"

I even use B.P. in the street cars in my collection with flat tappet
engines.

Russ Moore
Spitfire #49