fot

Re: [Fot] VR-1 Oil

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] VR-1 Oil
From: <yellow04@tr4racer.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 09:38:20 -0400
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf

VR-1 carries an API rating of "SN". This is the most current standard.

A couple years back when the whole flat tappet cam failure issue was in full
swing, somebody explained it to me this way...

The problem was caused when our government made mandates involving additives
to motor oil. They didn't want stuff in the oil of our daily drivers that
tended to plug up catalitic converters and perhaps gum up sensors. It's all
about emmissions and mileage, the idea of protecting an engine as best we
can is no longer the top priority. So the API ratings for motor oil were
amended to limit how much good stuff goes into the additive packages. .

Real racing oil has no API rating, it can't qualify for one. The additive
packages we want are outside the limits set by the API.

It's your engine, run whatever you like, but rest assured the VR-1 you buy
today is a distant relative of the VR-1 you ran when the bottle had an API
rating of "SJ".

Henry
yellow04@tr4racer.com
fot@autox.team.net