fot

Re: [Fot] Sway Bars

To: riverside@southslope.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Sway Bars
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@cstone.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:55:05 -0400
Cc: Bill Babcock <ponobill@gmail.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Exactly.  Depending on what you want the car to do,
and what else you have done, a rear sway bar can
help you or can hurt.  It is all about the balance.
If you run no front sway bar, or a small one, a
rear sway bar on a TR-3 is probably too much.  If
you run a heavy front sway bar, you might need a
rear sway bar to balance the handling out.  You
need to look at the whole package, not just one end
at a time.

For example, my solid axle TR-4 used very heavy front
and rear sway bars, and I think that anyone who drove
it would say that it handled pretty well - for autocross,
where a loose rear end (ie, a car that oversteers
slightly)can be an asset.  Along with the sway bars,
though, that car also had changes to the front camber,
stiff shocks and a very aggressive alignment (toe out).

I hope that helps,
John