fot

Re: [Fot] Sway Bars

Subject: Re: [Fot] Sway Bars
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 13:05:35 -0700
Cc: Fot@autox.team.net
---- Bill Babcock <ponobill@gmail.com> wrote:
> The trick
> seems to be VERY LIGHT sway bar. 5/8" is probably too heavy, though maybe Tony
> will chime in. It's very sensitive to adjustment.

Ditto.

FWIW, I ran the ADDCO bars (3/4" front, 5/8" rear) for many years on my street
TR3A.  On the street, I liked the setup, although I did install harder bushings
to get more action from the front bar, and left the links pretty loose at the
rear (for less action).  My next step was going to be a stiffer bar in the
front (probably a 3/4" bar with the extra bends to attach nearer the uprights
instead of in the middle of the A-arm like the ADDCO kit).

But on the track, the rear bar was definitely too much.  I didn't get a good
before & after because I changed some other things at the same time; but I did
pick up about a second at the VTR 2000 autocross with the rear bar
disconnected.  I also reconnected it for the drive home and left it that way.
On the street, maintaining control during an emergency maneuver is more
important to me, than being able to put down power during a hard turn.  On the
track, it's just the opposite.

If/when I install a rear bar again, it will be with the spring-loaded links
that allow for fine adjustment of roll stiffness.

Randall
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive