fot

Re: [Fot] A type O.D.

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] A type O.D.
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:04:50 -0500
Steve and Randall,
We didn't include that warning, because I had never heard of coil bind
occurring in these units.  I tested the springs with a valve spring
gauge with a range that didn't allow me to reach coil bind. The
accumulator springs or so stiff (over 500 lb/in) a couple of hardware
store washers will increase the pressure about 50 psi.  I shimmed a
large accumulator OD to about 525 psi with no problems. When the coil
bind happened, what was the shim thickness and what pressure were you
at?  Was it a large or small accumulator?  I will add a warning when we
update the article, but would like the details.  I suppose this would
suggest that you need to bench test it at a speed which is high enough
to activate the relief valve. Otherwise, you have no idea what pressure
you will have at speed.
Larry

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com