fot

Re: [Fot] A type O.D.

To: <19to1tr6@comcast.net>, "'team, FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] A type O.D.
From: "Steve Yott" <tr4@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:33:44 -0500
The A-Type non return valve operates as a check valve for the oil pump.  If
the valve is leaking or not closing etc. you will not be able to develop
full operating pressure which should be in 450 to 550 lbs. area.  It really
would not provide any advantage to make the spring stiffer as it only holds
the ball valve in position as the pump pressure pushes it open.  If you are
looking for an increase in operating pressure the only means is to use
stiffer accumulator springs or shim the current spring.  Be very careful
with the second option as I have seen many broken overdrives created by
someone thinking that more spacer means more pressure and that is good!!!
Wrong, it can be very bad if there is too much spacer installed and the
accumulator springs goes into coil bind during operation without exposing
the relief ports.  This can create extreme pressures to the point where
parts break!

Steve Yott