fot

Re: [Fot] SU Rebuilder

To: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>, Todd Redmond <alfetta95@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] SU Rebuilder
From: Sam Halkias <atr6racer@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 23:23:07 -0500
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
And Paltech also does a wonderful Hitachi SU conversion for TR's! He even
handles Webers. All of his work comes out looking and working better than new.
I have used him for two years and probably have had over a dozen sets of carbs
and conversions done with zero problems.

Sam

> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 04:00:40 +0000
> From: dlhogye@comcast.net
> To: alfetta95@optonline.net
> CC: FOT@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Fot] SU Rebuilder
>
> Joe Curto did my carbs and missed a couple things. I had meticulously
cleaned 3 disassembled carbs and sent them to Joe to build a set with the best
parts between them.
> While tuning I found that the dampers didn't match, one had a long shaft and
one short. I also found that one of the pistons was machined to a larger
diameter where the damper fits and one of the carbs, after about 300 miles of
use, started to leak fuel from the main jet seal.
> The problem might be that Joe doesn't actually do the work, but I'm not sure
about that. In any event, details were missed. Oh, Joe did send a nice SU
coffee mug with the carbs, but unfortunately it was poorly packaged and the
handle was broken off during shipping.

> I had communicated with Paltech before I send mine to Curto. They sure
seemed to be on their game and detail oriented. Their polishing is unique.
Their price is, if I remember correctly, less than Curto, but not by much.
Both are very reasonably priced and about half to 1/3rd the cost of a new set
of SUs, depending on HS6s or H6s. The difference in price was probably about
the cost of a coffee mug.

> I checked Ray Marty's website and I think it's a fair bet that Ray will
actually be doing the work and to a quality level. One photo on his website
shows him milling the carb to manifold gasket surface... Really? The photos
remind me of a very detail oriented, shall I say completely annal retentive
machinist friend of mine.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/dlhogye@comcast.net