fot

Re: [Fot] TR6 PI question

To: "'EDWARD BARNARD'" <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>, "'Terry O'Beirne'" <enquiries@roadandtrack.net.au>, "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>, "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR6 PI question
From: Charly <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 22:07:24 -0500
         BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 I agree with all of this and have been running PI on my race car for
about 7 or 8 years.  DO NOT SEND TO KINSLER, $2000.00 and still didn't
work right.

        I have blown very carefully with air through my injectors to clean
them, the book says don't. I've taken them apart and it's fairly easy.
 I also have a modification to adjust wide open fuel. I used a Lucas
pump for over 5 years and recently switched to the Bosch pump, but
also had to changed the pressure relief valve because it was
vibrating.

        Malcolm Jones is a wonderful contact and can rebuild your metering
unit to run on unleaded gas.  I add Marvel Mystery Oil to my gas to
lubricate the system.

        Tim, where do you have your gauge mounted?  I have one in the trunk,
but would like to be able to read the pressure at the metering unit.
What kind of gauge is it? Electric?

        Charly Mitchel

        TR6 #44
        On Sun 10/08/14 12:45 PM , "Tim Murphy" timmurph@fastbytes.com sent:
 It sounds like badly fouled injector nozzles.  When they are working
 correctly they have a very fine spray when a pulse of fuel comes out.
 It is
 very hard to see unless you pull one at a time and spray into a
coffee can.
 Then you can see the spray better and the fuel collecting on the
sides of
 the can.  If I remember correctly the spray is a 60 degree cone.
 I at first sent my injectors to Kinsler Fuel Injection in Michigan.
DO NOT
 send your injectors there!  I pretty much got ripped off.  My final
solution
 was to purchase good rebuilt injectors from Precision Engineering and
 Injection (Malcolm Jones) in England.  I have since had further
nozzles get
 fouled and now I disassemble them and clean them in an ultrasonic
cleaner
 myself.  I have had success doing this.  It's quicker and cheaper
than
 sending them to England and back.  The nozzles are quite simple, but
 precision, parts.  I made some special tools to disassemble and
reassemble
 them.
 Prior to doing this I went through the fuel system, fuel tank ( the
TR5 does
 not have baffles as the TR6 does, I added a fuel pickup on the other
side of
 the tank), return line, fuel pump and regulator.  I did not have to
touch
 the fuel distributor.
 I have a fuel pressure gauge (for Bosch fuel injection systems but
worked
 good on the TR5 also) to check and set the pressure, which was pretty
handy
 also.
 My car also had a Bosch fuel pump, but not the correct one for the
Lucas PI.
 I replaced that and the regulator ultimately.
 There was quite a bit I learned as I got the TR5 to run right and
keep it
 running right.  It would be easier to discuss this with you by phone.
 I can
 lend you the fuel gauge and fittings if you like and could take a
look at
 the injector nozzles if you'd like.  I also have two spare injectors
that
 work that you could try.  Contact me and we can set up a time that
will work
 for both of us to talk about it.  I have also been in contact with a
TR5
 owner in Kansas who had problems and got his running correctly with
help
 from a competent shop in his area.  Lastly, I have made friends with
a fella
 in England who has been a great help on the project.
 One thing about the Lucas PI, once they are running right they are
quite
 robust and reliable.  BUT, all components have to be working
correctly.
 When I started on my car I didn't realize that the Lucas PI was used
on the
 F1 cars of the era and the Can-Am cars.
 Tim