fot

Re: [Fot] Low oil pressure after overheating

To: <damys@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Low oil pressure after overheating
From: "Marcel Van Mulders" <van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 19:32:09 +0200
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Putting shims behind the spring in the pressure relief valve will increase
the oil pressure when the engine is cold, but it won't have any influence
when the engine is hot, because the pressure relief valve is fully closed
when the oil has warmed up (unless it is leaking...) Without a pressure
relief valve, the oil pressure could be very very high when starting the
engine from cold. This valve is there only to prevent damage.
If the gauge needle is no longer moving at idle after warming up, it's
likely that something has happened since the overheating. The gauge can be
at fault. If not,checking the oil pump and bearings is not that much work.
It would be a pity to ruin a freshly rebuilt engine, it seems the engine has
not a lot of damage now.
Marcel