fot

Re: [Fot] Southwick bearing issue

To: "'Dave'" <dlhogye@comcast.net>, "'Friends of Triumph'" <Fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Southwick bearing issue
From: "Peter Vucinic" <pvucinic@netspace.net.au>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 11:40:12 +1000
References: <1967455641.13183327.1409589615842.JavaMail.root@comcast.net> <1812028642.13193608.1409590534006.JavaMail.root@comcast.net> <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAACxbEgK3O79MiqnuYcYqj9HCgAAAEAAAAOkIiT9EjflFmaQjbjF/nyoBAAAAAA==@netspace.net.au> <103E6155-783D-4449-9CA7-0B7C26A558EA@comcast.net> <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAACxbEgK3O79MiqnuYcYqj9HCgAAAEAAAAK0+4MWqdaZErvSkXa3oPUwBAAAAAA==@netspace.net.au> <2FBD4EE9-5DB6-48D6-91BF-CD43E033C9ED@comcast.net>
Dave,
If you want to send me some pics that would be good.
If you have a single indentation in the inner race, then it looks like the
fault started there. With a single indentation. Most likely a fitting
problem occurred when a lot of pressure was put through ONE of the balls,
through the inner ring, thus causing the indentation. However, minor the
indentation, failure will commence at that location. Driving over that pot
hole again.

If the outer ring is a 'loose fit' and the inner ring has a s=ingle,
significant defect, then it is possible that the outer ring may crack. I
would still ensure the fit between the outer ring and the housing is
correct. Should be 'size for size' with the bearing.

Cheers...