fot

[Fot] Fwd: Steering Rack and More

To: Jason Sukey <jsukey@gmail.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Fwd: Steering Rack and More
From: Joe Alexander <n197tr4@cs.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:45:26 -0500
Jason, FOT,

I think I can share the Moss report on the fix.

There are also potential design improvements.

I see great integrity in the way Moss USA dealt with this issue.

They are also being understandably cautious in its application.

Joe Alexander
645 1st Street
Jesup, IA 50648
The-vintage-racer.com
Gasketinnovations.com
Cell:  319.464.4711

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Kelvin Dodd <doddk@mossmotors.com>
> Date: September 15, 2014 at 5:52:44 PM CDT
> To: 'Joe Alexander' <n197tr4@cs.com>, 'David Jahimiak' <david@jahimiak.com>
> Subject: RE: Steering Rack and More
>

> The racks are now sorted. Ibve copied all of the information from the
notes page of the item card.

> In short. The collar has been completely re-designed and impact pull out is
now better than stock. The tie rod design has also been improved to give a
wider range of motion.

> We are not advertising these racks for use in competition. The prevalence of
solid mounts and sticky tires makes it inadvisable for us to give such a
recommendation.

> Code     Line No.               Date      Comment
>                 900         06/02/14              New number created for
re-designed Staco rack & pinion assembly. Collar of pinion housing crimped
>                 901         06/02/14              onto the cross-tube on all
4 TR rack & pinion units 667-126, 667-126
>                 902         06/02/14              Pinion nut also
redesigned: threaded section increased from 5.7mm to 12mm.
>                 903         06/02/14              Pinion Nut Torque set at
factory between 15-25 kg-cm; nut secured w/anerobic thread lock.
>                 904         06/02/14              In time, when it becomes
necessary to re-adjust the pinion nut, the nut is locked in place by
>                 905         06/02/14              driving a piece of the
aluminium nut into one of the grooves in the collar of the pinion housing.
>                 906         06/02/14              New tie rods droop a full
30 degree like the OE tie rods, while earlier they were limited to 26 deg.
>                 907         07/02/14              Generally sold for TR4A
thru TR6. Can be used for TR4 from CT20064, which is when the rack
>                 908         07/02/14              mounts went from
horizontal to vertical. That makes it possible to fit the later type rack.
>                 909         07/02/14              TR4 tie rods are about
2/10 of an inch longer than TR4A- 6. Not enough to be a problem.
>                 910         07/02/14              The tie rod ends are the
same for TR2-TR6; suggest 667-265, a pair of tie rod ends.
> INSPECT               100         06/30/14              M:\Product
Information\667-126_306830\Inspect\667-126 RI List.docx
> ITEMNOTE          10000    06/26/14              New rack & pinion gears are
lubed for life, then sealed in a new housing made to the original TR
> ITEMNOTE          10001    06/26/14              dimensions. You have your
choice of mounts: OE rubber, Polyurethane (which we strongly recommend) or
> ITEMNOTE          10002    06/26/14              solid mounts (not
recommended).Poly bush kit is 683-183. Standard ratio: 3.5 turns lock-to-lock.
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive